Friday, July 8, 2011

A Different Calling

Yesterday was my last day with the UN World Food Programme. I have mixed feelings about my time there, but I am so happy that I had the opportunity. I was in the programming division, that primarily focused on providing school lunches to about 500 schools nationwide (almost every school). The main problem I had with WFP is that I didn't have a clear role so it was difficult to fill my days with any kind of meaningful work. Sometimes I was asked to do a task and when it was complete my supervisor didn't want it anymore or had changed his mind. So I designed several national studies, analyzed quite a bit of data, wrote several national reports and presentations that may be used in the future, but right now are just sitting in my supervisor's e-mail box. I also expected to be much more hands on, in the field and with the schools and I wasn't given that opportunity so that was very disappointing.

On the other hand, when I was doing meaningful work that is actually being used I loved it. I designed an ad campaign of posters that are going to be posted in every school in the country. There are 6 different posters that say "Every Child Must Eat" in response to a policy that some schools have that if children can't pay a small fee for lunch than they aren't entitled to it. This is completely wrong, the WFP pays for the food and it is intened especially those who are most vulnerable. Hopefully, everyone will see my posters and feed those kids!

A second project I worked on is analyzing regional data on all of the school infrastructure that needs to be repaired or replaced. Several schools do not meet standards for toilet to child ratio, number of classrooms to children ration, do not have adequate kitchens, water supply etc. I put together a very large report (somewhere around 200 pgs) and presentations to present to donors so that some of the most desperate schools can have improved infrasturcture.

My last major project was putting together a national forum to bring together 60 of the government ministries, donors, ambassadors, aid organizations, and other stakeholders to discuss the future steps of school feeding program and some really great ideas came out of the day-long forum. The forum was on Monday and it was by far the most fun I've had and I really felt like I would start getting more responsibility in the future. On my second to last day I found about 500 2011 calenders that hadn't been distributed. I gave them all away to people at the UN and tried to give force them to take enough for the family, friends, cousins....anyone! I felt like the most popular girl at school! I really got a chance to talk to some of the most incredible people from all over the world. I even took on to a woman that begs down the street (her name is Fatou)! I was really starting to enjoy being there! However, I had already turned in my two weeks notice and it was time to leave.

I chose to have my last 2 weeks as kind of "free weeks" to do whatever I please. This morning I volunteered at the local hospital, and will continue to do so, in the pediatric ward. I'm also trying to use the afternoons to explore the country a bit more. I'm planning on exploring more markets, the capital, going to Senegal and whatever else I happen to fancy. I don't think I will take any pictures of the hospital, I just don't feel right taking pictures of sick kids. But look at any sad picture of tons of sick kids packed into too few beds and you'll get a good idea of what it looks like. Anyway, I'm really looking foward to enjoying my last few weeks here and I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment